While I love the idea of spending one day a month cooking, it just doesn't seem like something that is going to be happening here in the near future. So a couple times a week I'm making big batches of food. We eat one and freeze between two and five meals for later (I've frozen a couple large meals in case we have guests).
Here's the latest recipe we tried. It was based off of one in a book, but as usual, I ended up improvising (the one in the book was turkey for starters):
An Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- 16 oz frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained (I double the recipe and since I was a little bit short on the amount of frozen vegetables and didn't want to open a new giant bag I added one gan of cut green beans and they were a great addition).
- 2 14 3/4 oz cans creamed corn
- 10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken- chopped (I bought a family sized breast and split it between the three pans)
- 2 12 oz tubes refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
Mix everything except the buttermilk biscuits in a 13 x 9 inch pan (I greased the pan with butter first). Top with biscuits (next time I'll quarter the biscuits so that I can cover the entire top, instead of using the biscuits whole, although the three biscuits we used were perfect in the little pan!). Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes (it only took 30 in our super hot oven) or until biscuits are golden.
This was an instant family favorite. And it's so easy! This is perfect for nights when you really don't feel like cooking, but need to feed your family!
I have a CPP recipe from a cookbook my dad gave me and have been using it to do this too. I added more veggies than it uses, some of mine are fresh some are canned some will be frozen this time too since we have some that are right now. LOL The main difference between ours is that instead of the soups (which do sound good) mine uses a sauce that's made with butter and flour. Its soooo good.ReplyDelete
I do the same thing too! (Make a big batch of food and freeze them).ReplyDelete
Now I only wish I have a bigger fridge to keep everything :)
This chicken pot pie sounds so easy and yummy. Can't wait to try it on my family! Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete