Sunday, January 25, 2009

Home Sweet Home

We are finally home!  Today was a long day of traveling and an hour and a half after we made it home Paul had to turn around and drive back into town to work.  At least in another hour he will be home!  

Sadie almost slept through the night last night (and by almost I mean she fell asleep at 8 and only woke up once!).  I still woke up three or four times to check on her and to make sure that we hadn't overslept.  

We went to Mass at the Cathedral Basilica of St Joseph in San Jose before heading home.  It felt like one of the longest hours of my life because Sadie, who is normally very good in church turned into a tiny octopus who was desperate to escape.  It began when the baby, who had hardly coughed in two days, heard me cough twice just before we walked into the church.  She laughed and copied me.  
The moment we sat down in the very quiet cathedral, she started to cough.  What started out as a little fake cough turned into a real cough when she swallowed wrong, because of the fake coughing.  After about a minute of coughing the little old man who was sitting a few rows in front of us turned around and glared.  I started to imagine that the people around us were asking themselves "what kind of mother would bring her sick baby to church?"  I suggested to Paul we that we move to the very back row and tried to jiggle Sadie even more so that coughing didn't seem like quite as much fun.

After we moved she stopped coughing and put her hands on either side of my face.  For a few seconds she stared very intently and was very still.  Then she pulled on my nose.  It was all downhill from there.  She spent several minutes trying to yank on my nose and ears while I tried to discourage her without causing a tantrum.  

Paul tried to take her several times and while she was more serious while she was sitting with Daddy, after about five minutes she would start reaching for me and the second she was back on my lap the raspberries and "cuddles" would begin.  It was like being mugged.

After Mass we met Kehli in Sunnyvale for breakfast at Denny's (the waitress recognized Sadie from yesterday and called her "my baby") which is now Sadie's favorite restaurant, probably because it always seems to be full of babies and people who are fun to watch.  Then we said a very sad goodbye to Kehli who is moving back to Montana (that's the picture at the top of the page) and headed North.  

It was another big day.  She should sleep well tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!