So many of you guessed what the big surprise was, but I just had to make the official announcement for those of you who wondered why there was a giant green spartan mascot on my page yesterday (before this week I wouldn't have known what school he represented!).
Paul has been accepted as a second year law student at Michigan State University, and we're making the big move north.
The idea of transferring law schools can be a bit stressful, since you don't find out if you've made the cut until after grades come in (and the new school has reviewed everything and made their decision), which means it's often a last minute scramble, right before school starts. In our case it's going to be a cross country scramble.
Paul finishes his internship this Friday. Saturday morning we hop in the car and head (at a much quicker pace) to New England, where Mae Bae will finally meet her Grandma and Grandpa and all the Aunts and Uncles and cousins that she's never gotten to see, before we rush the rest of the way down to Florida. On the way to New England we'll be taking a detour up to Michigan and hopefully finding an apartment to move into when we get up there (more on that in a moment). In Florida we'll pack up all our belongings, see my doctor for the scheduled ultrasound (and hopefully find out if this little one is a boy or a girl), hire movers to load the truck (I learned my lesson last time) and then drive up to Michigan.
I have to take a deep breath just thinking of how insane this is going to be.
In order to not feel so panicked, I have been trying to do everything I can do from this side of the country, to get ready for the coming weeks of frantic rushing. So far I've made a tiny dent in my "to do" list.
You see, when we began checking out the prices for apartments in Michigan, we discovered that houses were for sale for less than $30,000. And these weren't listed as "needing work." They were listed as "Totally renovated. New hardwood floors. New siding. New roof. New heater." I wondered if this was some sort of craigslist scam, until I went to the local real estate website and found 350 homes in the price "wow how is that possible" price range. A mortgage calculator estimated the mortgage at around $150 a month and thoughts like "why would I want to pay $750 in rent each month when we could put that towards a mortgage" started going through my head.
I emailed a few real estate agents, compiled a list of properties for Paul and waited to see what happened next.
The consensus after speaking with a couple agents is that we need to make the move, get an apartment for a few months with a month to month lease and then start looking at houses once we get there, because it will likely be 3-4 months before we can move in (but it looks like we should be able to buy a house!).
Which is why I emailed 50 apartment complexes in the area, asking if any would be willing to consider a month to month or super short term (4-5 months) lease. Yesterday Paul's phone began ringing off the hook (he'd said I could use his number and he'd talk with them... although he pointed out the number of apartments I'd contacted seemed more than a little high... but hey, I'm a little panicked about the idea of not having an apartment to move into...). Hopefully he'll be able to line up a selection of choices from my list for us to see as we pause for the afternoon/evening on our cross country dash, and we'll be able to get approved for an apartment and move in after the 6000+ miles of driving that our in our immediate future.
And then I'll have to find another doctor, immediately, who's going to be willing to take me at the start of the third trimester (leaving my NaPro doctor was actually one of the hardest parts of the decision)...
Leaving our current home was a difficult choice (and when we left for the summer we were both so confident that we were coming back that I was putting up bookshelves and hanging artwork on the walls), but an offer of jumping up two tiers in the law school ranking system was just too good to pass up... and the lure of four seasons and a snowy winter definitely played into my enthusiasm in the decision (and no alligators!!! And I doubt we'll have to risk our belongings molding if we turn the air conditioner off for a day!).
So here we go on another adventure! I have the feeling the next four weeks are going to leave my head spinning!