Here's how the progress has gone so far:
Day 1: Cut out the pattern... very,very carefully. My kindergarten teacher could tell you that "small motor skills" were never one of my strong suites. I was always hurrying to get outside and play.Day 2: Cut out the material in the shape of the pattern. This took even longer than cutting out the pattern, but at least they actually look alright!Day 3: I started sewing. I almost finished the top half of the dress before being called away by a coloring book melt down.Day 4: (Today): Hoping I'll have time to work on my project a little today, but with a very fussy, teething baby, all bets are off.
I came to the conclusion that it was silly to be so afraid to even start a sewing project. After all, what's the worst that could happen? And it's much quicker than knitting a dress (and if I have the ability to knit a dress I should be coordinated enough to sew one too! At least theoretically...)
I decided to go with a size 4T for our not so dainty 19 month old... and apparently I should have measured her proportions first (it's tough to do though because she never holds still!).
I'm far enough along that I can now see that this was a major mistake. The top half of the dress is coming along beautifully... and it may fit her for a few more weeks! I squeezed her into it yesterday... yikes! Her shoulders barely fit through the top opening!
But at least I'm learning to sew! And I think it's coming along very well (apart from barely fitting!)! Hopefully I'll have pictures soon!