|Trying to get a picture for today's post...
As you may have guessed, it's been quite the day.
It started at 3 am when I woke up, coughing until I managed to grab my inhaler and shaking uncontrollably, despite the half dozen blankets I had piled on top of me. After an hour of shaking I decided to get up and take a bath. Then back into bed, still shivering. Half an hour later my temperature read 102.76. I asked Paul to call the hospital, sat up, got very, very sick and began to struggle to get ready. Every movement made me gasp for breath and lean back to rest, dizzy. Paul was ready to call an ambulance when I struggled to put my arm into my shirt. I finally made it downstairs into the car and then Paul went back and woke the girls and loaded them into their car seats. By now it was 6 am.
I made it into the hospital with a temperature of 100, that suddenly spiked to 103.1 degrees. Everything ached. Baby and I both had elevated heart rates, and my lovely blood pressure frequently showed numbers like 83 over 40. Despite drinking gatorade all night, they quickly determined that I was quite dehydrated and it took three tries to find a vein that could support an IV. Then came blood tests that needed to be from two separate locations. With a grand total of six band-aids on my arms I was starting to feel a bit like a pin cushion.
My doctor arrived and the next concern was that when they pressed on my stomach and let go, pain would shoot through my back on the lower right hand side. That meant my next trip was to a cat scan machine, where it was found that one kidney was enlarged (which could be a pregnancy thing), but my appendix was found to be fine.
Which meant we'd be moving on to the test that I really wasn't looking forward to: an amniocentesis. The fear was (is) that there's an infection in the amniotic fluid that's making both me and the baby sick. At this point this test isn't really risky, since the worst case scenario was my water breaking, and I'm far enough along that that isn't a real concern (although we'd certainly like to go longer if we can). I felt like fainting when they told me that they don't numb you for an amnio. The room was full of doctors and nurses as they attempted to find an available place in my uterus that wasn't full of wiggling baby. On of the nurses realized that I was on the verge of having a breakdown and came over to hold my and. I watched the needle go in on the ultrasound, breathed a sigh of relief that the worst was over and then... The Boy moved and the needle was pulled out. They'd have to try a second time. The second try was on the other side, and was successful.
And then I was moved along to labor and delivery where I was admitted. By then the doctors knew that some sort of protein levels had jumped from 0 last night to 21 this morning, apparently indicating an infection (along with slightly elevated white and red blood cell levels). Another doctor arrived and talked to me about the possibility of a c-section if the infection continued, if they couldn't find the source, and I agreed, because I know that in my current shape I can hardly walk and breath, much less attempt a VBAC and so if they need to get him out quickly I'll agree to whatever it takes.
A short while later the first of the infectious disease doctors arrived and examined me and asked all sorts of questions, from whether or not we'd eaten out recently, to where we purchase cheese, where we buy it and what kind of cheese we eat. They said that they doubt a bacterial infection, they believe it's a nasty virus, but that they'd be running further tests on the many samples that were taken, including the amniotic fluid, and that the tests would likely be complete on Friday or Saturday and that I'd be staying until then. The infectious disease doctor explained that even though the likelihood was small of a bacterial infection, the risk if it was bacterial was quite simply too high to ignore, since they're the type of diseases that are deadly, especially since I'm pregnant.
After that I was wheeled downstairs, since one of the doctor's thought my lungs sounded like they might have a problem, and it was time for chest x-rays.
And then, finally, I was taken off the no liquids diet and given ice chips and a popsicle. After being unable to eat anything since an apple yesterday morning I was pretty excited. I've worked my up to a cup of sprite too now and ice water, which has made thing much less miserable (no water for 12 hours is tough, even when you've had four bags of fluids).
The nurses brought in a comfortable bed from another part of the hospital and Paul brought over my computer and a few supplies. Now I'm going to try to get some sleep and hope that somebody figures something out soon (or that one of the many medications work!).
Thanks to everyone who's praying for us! We really appreciate it!
I have a feeling that this is going to be a long week.