Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Waiting and Hoping...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the prayers! I'm feeling much calmer tonight.

I talked to the lawyer this morning. She started to gasp in horror about two minutes into the actual story-part of the conversation. Her immediate suggestion is to save any receipts for any expenses we incur because of this (like gas receipts for all the driving Paul has to do back and forth to my parent's house). She also said that if we wanted to get things rolling right now we should go to the building inspector and report what's going on, but that we also might want to wait on that, because the managers and off site manager are trying to figure out what's going on.

Paul and I talked about it and we're going to wait until Friday (which also happens to be the day the lawyer will call back). If nothing has been done by Friday, and the offsite manager hasn't returned our calls, we are going to go to the building inspector and tell them what's been going on (I have a feeling they'll be very interested...).

Paul also spoke with the DA who said he would prosecute if the case came to him (the deputies were really surprised when Paul told them he'd gone to the office and spoken with him in person).

In other news the apartment stinks like a sickly sweet bunch of roses were pureed and pumped into the air. It is slightly better than the alternative. I guess after all the deputy visits yesterday, our neighbors are taking this a little more seriously and are trying to cover up the smell with copious quantities of air freshener (actually it smells more like cheap floral perfume...)! I still doubt this is the end of the smoke, but they do seem to be making an effort to cover the smell... Maybe the fix-it guy can track the flower smell down and figure out where it's coming from.

The lawyer said she'd talk it over with everyone in their weekly meeting and call on Friday. The consensus seems to be that this is a very new problem that is pretty likely going to become a very common problem in our state.

So the girls and I are still away from home. Sadie is sleeping on the futon in Nani's sewing area and Maggie and I are in the guest room... and tonight we're enjoying watching Grumpa's team (the Giants) play a great game! While I am a Red Sox fan by marriage (let's face it, it's just easier that way!) I can't help but say... "Go Giants!"


  1. So glad that you've gotten the ball rolling, and it sounds as if the lawyer, DA, etc., are taking you seriously. Will keep the prayers coming.

    BTW - our daughter and son-in-law are rooting for the Giants as well (though dear daughter is a Red Sox fan through heredity, Boston native that I am!) They figured that, as long as my SIL is at Berkeley finishing up a post-doc, they may as well enjoy the full Bay area experience! I'm just delighted the Yankees aren't in it!

    God bless!

  2. I hadn't checked out your blog for a while and I couldn't believe it when I read about all these goings on yesterday! You poor things! This is one crazy situation. I will keep you all in my prayers. Hopefully this 'dark night of the soul' is the prelude to far, far better living conditions for you guys, as well as a wake-up call for law makers and law enforcement in your state.


I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!