Monday, December 10, 2012

A Doctor's Appointment and a Manhunt...

I bundled Patrick up today and headed out into the cold morning for his one month doctor's appointment.  A half hour later he was weighing in at 11 lbs 10 oz and measured 23 3/4 inches, staying right on track for the 95th to 99th percentile.  He seems to be following in the footsteps of his big sisters!

The real excitement of the day came tonight at around 4:30, when I heard sirens and saw a cop car speed by on our normally quiet street.  I was cuddled on the couch with the babies a few minutes later when I glanced out at our neighbors house and saw the reflection of lights flashing on our next door neighbors wall.

Looking out the front window I saw that the cop car had flipped around and was parked diagonally across the middle of the street in front of our house, with another cop car behind him.  I walked back to the kitchen, to email Paul and let him know to use the back street when he came home, since the front was apparently closed and glanced out the side window.  Two more cop cars were parked alongside the side of our house, with their lights flashing.

I began to wonder if we were about to be evacuated.  Was there a gas leak on our block and they were going door to door?  Or... was there some criminal around, that was apparently quite close to our house, since they did appear to be encircling our house in particular.  Part of me wanted to go out and ask what was going on, but the other part saw the guys staring at our house and thought, is the bad guy in the bushes right there?  I'd rather not be a hostage... I think we'll stay right here behind our deadbolt, with our alarm system ready to sound.

Going back to the front window the girls and I peered out and saw around a half dozen police officers looking back from the sidewalk.  A giant german shepherd was using our lawn as a bathroom.

Okay, I thought.  You guys would tell us if there's some serious criminal creeping around our house, right?  Seconds later the german shepherd was dragging his handler at a sprint around the back of the house and down the side street, with another officer sprinting behind, and the cars quickly following after them.  For the next hour I saw frequent cop cars circling the block.

So far nothing's been on the news about a manhunt, although there was news about a prescription drug ring being busted, and 7 people being arrested with another 5 about to be arrested, which made me wonder if it had something to do with that.  But really we have no idea what was going on.

And that was the excitement at our house today.  Now on to Tuesday!  Paul's first final is tomorrow night!


  1. That happened to me in our first home when I was home alone with my 2-month old firstborn. Hubby was gone and the cops had our house surrounded. Eventually, they had several guys face down on our lawn, handcuffed. After they left, I couldn't help but wonder if they missed anyone! And it changed my position on self-defense in the home permanently. It's all theory and dialogue until the bad guys are on the lawn and a baby is in the

  2. Coming from someone who used to live where police helicopters are a nightly occurrence, stay inside. Do not go outside to ask what is happening. We had a standoff on our street once, and going outside was the last thing on my mind.

  3. So scary! I'm glad you and your family are fine :)

  4. Why is it that husbands are NEVER home when stuff like this happens??? ;) There was someone on the loose not far fro our home recently; scary!


  5. Best wishes on a successful final for the husband. Law School finals are killer.


I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!