Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Misoprostol Experience (So Far)

I thought I'd write about my misoprostol experience too, for anyone out there who's wondering what the range of experiences is like, who's searching, like I was, for blog posts.  My experience seems to be on the mild side, possibly because my doctor's having me take one pill every day for five days (and the other stories I've seen are larger amounts of pills, all at once).  I am going to go into some details here for queasy readers who may want to pass, but really, the whole experience hasn't been all that bad so far:

I took the first dose of Misoprostol (for anyone who reaches this via post via google, for a miscarriage at 14 weeks where no D&C was done two and a half months ago) two nights ago and prepared for the worst.  I'd read other stories on other blogs and I just knew... it was going to be horrible.

So I lay down and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  I couldn't sleep, even though it was almost midnight, because the contractions would start any moment and I would be in agony and who wants to wake up in agony (okay it's not logical at all... I was just too busy worrying to sleep)?

At some point I finally drifted off, because the next thing I knew I was waking up, feeling perfectly normal and wondering if the pharmacist, who'd seemed a little confused by the prescription when Paul had taken it in, had given us the right medicine (although I really knew he had because I'd checked the little pill description on the side before I took it).  I was still spotting, just like I had through the estrogen that Dr. H had prescribed, perhaps slightly more, but other than that, no change.

I took the second pill yesterday afternoon, out of impatience, and finally felt a tiny bit crampy.  It wasn't even as painful as most menstrual cramps.  I had mild back pain and was starting to get impatient.  After all, I don't want to be in pain, but I don't want to have surgery more than I don't want to be in pain.  I mean, if I have to have surgery, fine, let's get it over with, but if it can be avoided, I'd totally be on thrilled with this whole thing being over, once and for all, without heading into an OR.  

And that's where we are this morning: a tiny bit uncomfortable, but other than that, pretty much fine.  I have had some little bits of "debris" pass but we're talking teaspoon amounts (can teaspoon amounts really have made me this sick?).  I imagine it's going to get a little more intense with each dose, but I'm definitely not terrified of the pain level any longer.  Hopefully this is just doing enough to end this entire process!

Thanks to everyone for the prayers and support through all of this.  I'm so ready for the entire physical process to finally be over!


  1. Maybe the way this doctor has you taking the medicine is intended to make the process less painful. I hope this works out for you so you can avoid a surgery. I can't imagine how difficult all of this has been on you both emotionally and physically. I'm praying that you'll be on the mend very soon.

  2. I'll be keeping you in my prayers today, that all goes as well as possible, and is finally DONE and over with.


  3. Yep, told you it wasn't going to be as bad as Pitocin. Of course, that wouldn't have been true if you were sensitive to it, which appears that you are not. I'm so glad it's working out for you right now. Hopefully, it will continue to be so.

  4. Still praying.. and glad you found someone willing to actually pay attention and do something. *hugs*

  5. Prayers are taking on the brunt of the physical pain, I hope! :) {Hug}


I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!